LISTEN TO THIS LECTURE ON WHY YOU MUST NOT CONSUME GMO’S.
I just received a very exciting phone call from a client today. I will call her Kris, to respect her privacy. But Kris has been complaining of stomach issues, bloating, mild diarrhea, sometimes gurgling stomach and sporadic pain and discomfort. It has been quite an issue and we have been trying a process of elimination diet (as well as may other things) for about 8 weeks. Well…. today… TADAH… we found the problem. CARRAGEENAN!
I am sure many of you have no clue what Carrageenan is, so let me explain. I RESEARCH everything and I am very careful about what I tell my clients, when it comes to their health issues, concerns or well being. I try to get my clients off of medications. Women who come to me want to feel their optimal best. So when Kris described her symptoms to me, and told me she was miserable, it was time to take action. She had been having bloating, stomach pain, gurgling and just was not feeling well, despite what we thought was a pretty clean eating plan. So, this concerned me, so we had to figure out “WHY”!! Why was she having these symptoms. Her body was telling her something.
So, first thing we did was cleaned up her diet even more…….. making a bunch of changes here. Then we worked on her gut function… adding digestive enzymes, probiotics and foods that we knew she could digest without issues. We also had to make sure SURE she wasn’t ingesting diary or any hidden gluten (which are very common in a lot of products and supplements). Then we tried a supplement elimination approach to see if she might be having an allergic reaction to. Next we tried a foods elimination diet. After doing all of these first, her symptoms didn’t really change. We even tried various kinds of protein powders as well as completely eliminating protein powders all together. This was frustrating for ME. As her nutrition and hormone practioner, I was determined to figure it out. I also understood how frustrating it must have been for her.
So, after weeks of trying different things……. I asked her what she was using in her protein shakes and/or oatmeal. She said Almond Milk. Right away… i thought… DING DING DING… She never logged or told me about her almond milk consumption because she said it was unsweetened and all natural, but she was consuming about 1 cup – 2 cups per day. So IMMEDIATELY – i told her to STOP drinking any almond milk. She was off of it for an entire week and her symptoms were GONE. Absolutely GONE!! So then we tried an ORGANIC version of Almond Milk… (100%) and TADAH!!! Symptoms Gone and now she is able to drink her shakes and eat her oatmeal again.
So, let me explain what happened here. I have been researching and educating myself more than ever on certain ingredients, preservatives, additives and other chemicals that are in our food supply, medications and environment. I am learning what the impact of these exotoxins are having on our bodies as well as how they are causing major symptoms but more importantly, turning into disease.
NON- ORGANIC Almond Milk (as well as many other products) have a substance in it called Carrageenan, which is supposed to be a “natural” food additive derived from red seaweed and processed with a chemical to neutralize its acidity. Carrageenan is a popular ingredient added to foods as a thickening agent to improve the texture and solubility of products. Carrageenan does not add nutritional content or flavor to products. Most foods that contain the suspicious additive are nonfat, low fat or fat free foods lacking the manufacturer’s desired texture for the food product, but it is a toxic agent. Research has found that carrageenan can trigger the development of chronic illness such as diabetes, and diseases associated with complications of the digestive tract.
Here is what Carrageenan does….. and I would say it is …….NOT Safe!!
1. Carrageenan weakens immune system: Possibly due to its high reactivity, carrageenan can interfere with a healthy immune response by altering the body’s natural army front of antibodies. Antibodies send signals warning our immune system that a foreign invader has entered and to attack. An unhealthy immune response can lead to inflammation of the gastrointestinal system causing a variety of complications.
2. Carrageenan Alters Intestinal Micoflora – Due to the variations in people’s intestinal microflora, or bacteria contained in the gut, researchers suggests that the additive may promote inflammation by altering the type of bacteria present following the consumption of carrageenan. Symptoms associated with altered bacteria concentrations within the gut include inflammatory colon polyps and abnormal tissue growth which can be signs of a more serious health problem
3. Carrageenan Increases Chronic Inflammation –
The following is a list of health problems that may be associated with chronic inflammation of the gut:
4. Carrageenan is a concern for those with diabetes as well as everyone, as studies have proven that with carrageenan present in the body, there is an increase in glucose intolerance.
5. Carrageenan also causes Intestinal Complications, which is what was going on with Kris.
Many studies have found that Carrageenan in diets activates an inflammatory pathway in the intestines and researchers documented ulcerative colitis, intestinal ulcerations, lesions in the rectum comparable to hemorrhaging, and the overall development of disease due to failing health.
WOW!!! No wonder.
So, we took her OFF of the Almond Breeze. Here is a chart. It shows brands that DO have Carrageenan in them and brands that do NOT.
I also found that Carrageenan was hidden in a few ORGANIC items also, such as Almond Dream products, Greek Yogurts, Cottage Cheese, and lunch meats.
You must be careful with ANY packaged food items. It is very annoying and frustrating … but, the ONLY way you can get around all of these hidden chemicals, preservatives and exotoxins is by eating and buying food that is NOT in a box, package or can. It’s just the way it is.
So again, the CHOICE is yours. Obviously Kris had a severe reaction to this toxic additive, but not everyone is going to. But, even if you do not have symptoms, my strong opinion is that it will catch up with you some day.. it will affect your metabolism, immune system and gut function and you will start to react to all the perservatives, additives and exotoxins that you put in your body. The good news is YOU have a choice. It’s Up To You!!
I am just very happy that we were able to identify the problem and fix it. Oh.. I did forget to tell you. Kris DID go see her physician and was told by her physician that she could give Kris a medication to try and then went on to suggest to OMIT vegetables for a while and see if that solves the problem. REALLY? I mean REALLY??? I just laughed…. nothing like taking the “TIME” to ask her questions, or give her some holistic approaches. Seriously!! But, I understand the reason why………. First of all, physicians certainly won’t spend 1/2 or hour with you to investigate… Secondly, I know for a fact that doctors only get 1 day of nutrition in 8 years of med school… and Thirdly, they are NOT up to snuff on current holistic protocols, because they CAN’T be… they are very tightly monitored by the FDA and AMA……… so that is just the way it is. . I spent at least 4 – 5 hours with Kris through appointments, conversations, email exchanges and research……… and I know most physicians cannot do that… I get it… but it is what it is.
So purpose of this blog.
For more information on other important topics, check out the other articles here in our blog. Otherwise, you can go to our website, http://www.bfitchallenge.com or contact us 651 452 2339 for a free consultation.
How many of you reading this article wish you could get off medications, but do not know how, or are scared to go off of them. How many of you were told that going on a specific medication was your best option? Were you informed about the possible side effects of medications?
In this article, we are going to discuss these questions. In addition, I am going to share with you my knowledge and opinions on the topic of medications.
I FIRST want to preface this article by saying, I understand there are instances where medications are important and needed. But, if they are being used to treat a symptom or disease that can be eliminated or reversed with lifestyle, nutrition and supplements,then that is the approach I am referring to. I think we have a culture of laziness, lack of knowledge and quick fixes. We need to take our health into our own hands and that requires a lot of work, assistance, and a physician (or advocate) that will help you sort through all of your options. You need to understand exactly what medications do to your physiology.
Each year prescription drugs injure 1.5 million people so severely they require hospitalization and 100,000 die, making prescription drugs a leading cause of death in the United States. Around 1,400 employees work for the FDA whose main duties relate to approving new drugs. Yet, there are only 52 full time employees who monitor the safety of all the drugs currently on the market. This includes approximately 5,000 brand name, generic and over-the counter drugs.
LET’S TAKE A QUICK LOOK AT THE TOP 5 DRUG CATEGORIES.
1. PROTON PUMP INHIBITORS (PPIS). Millions of Americans take PPIs to alleviate the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a condition marked by food and acid in the stomach leaking back into the esophagus and causing damage. But PPIs like Nexium (exomeprazole) and Prevacid (lansoprazole) have been shown to both block nutrient absorption and inhibit the production of necessary stomach acid, which can cause a host of other health problems.
OPTION: Clean up your nutrition by eating non acidic foods and good quality food that do not have chemicals and toxins which cause many of these symptoms. Also could try digestive enzymes and probiotics, many times a person does not have the enzymes for proper digestion. Add some Glutamine powder to help with stomach lining health and repair.
2. STATINS. The top-selling class of drugs for several years in a row, statins are hailed by the medical system as a type of miracle cure for high cholesterol and heart disease. But popular statin drugs like Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium) and Crestor (rosuvastatin calcium) have been shown to greatly increase users’ risk of diabetes, liver disease, brain damage, muscle atrophy, and even early death. (http://www.drfranklipman.com)
OPTION: Again, many statins are given without trying to understand the reason behind why you have high cholesterol. Exercise and a better eating plan, which includes less trans-fatty acids, are two things you can start doing immediately to directly reduce the bad cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol.
The side effects of statins are so severe, in fact, that the FDA recently expanded its official warnings about their use: (http://www.fda.gov/ ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm293330.htm). Beyond this, more than a dozen studies have shown that taking statins for primary prevention does little, if anything, to prevent heart attack or stroke, which means the drug class is medically useless for the millions of otherwise healthy people who are prescribed it.
3. ANTIBIOTICS. The leading cause of antibiotic-resistant “superbugs,” antibiotics are another class of drugs that can cause long-term health problems without providing much, if any, benefit. Insanely over- prescribed for conditions that often do not even respond to them, antibiotics and their long-term abuse by the medical system has made many infections more virulent and untreatable. There are 3 very very dangerous antibiotics that are being prescribed right now that are very dangerous and can cause severe and permanent disability. They are Levaquin (levofloxacin), Vancocin (vancomycin hydrochloride), and Bactrim (trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole).
OPTION: Taking antibiotics kills all the GOOD bacteria in your gut. Reeving havoc on your immune system. Each time you take an antibiotic, you are damaging your gut, immune system and stomach lining. I cannot stress enough how dangerous these are and how they have long term effects on your overall health. Why not work on building up your IMMUNE system with healthy eating, a good quality multivitamin, Vitamin C, good quality sleep and probiotics. I have seen a HUGE decrease with antibiotics by simply taking these initial steps.
4. ANTIPSYCHOTICS. One of the deadliest drug classes, antipsychotics are commonly prescribed for conditions like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and severe major depression, as well as for many “off-label” conditions such as mild mood disorder and everyday anxiety. But popular antipsychotic drugs like Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate), Abilify (aripiprazole), Risperdal (risperidone), and Zyprexa (olanzapine) have been shown to increase blood sugar levels, elevate lipid and cholesterol levels, and promote weight gain.
OPTION: This is a tricky one, because obviously if you have a mental disorder, than medications might be the only option for you. But here is what I DO know. I have had MANY clients on these meds that did NOT have to be on them, it was a coping mechanism they used not face the true reality and issues in their lives. I have been able to help many women get of depression medications with a plan of daily exercise, good nutrition, a daily vitamin b drink and life coaching. Giving a women some methods to deal with her anxiety and helping her to learn better behaviors to deal with stress are always a better option. Easy? No… but better.
But even more concerning is the long-term neurological and brain damage that can result from taking antipsychotics, not to mention the greatly elevated risk of metabolic syndrome, which can include major health conditions like cardiovascular disease and diabetes (http://www. sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121127190016.htm). Antipsychotics are so dangerous that a study published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) declared them to be more deadly than terrorism.
5. OPIOID PAIN RELIEVERS. Pharmaceutical drugs have officially been declared a leading cause of death in America today, and leading the way are opioid-based painkillers like Vicodin (hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen), OxyContin (oxycodone HCI), Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen), codeine, and morphine.
According to a study out of Brandeis University in Massachusetts, prescription painkillers are now responsible for causing more fatal overdoses than both heroin and cocaine combined. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has actually declared an epidemic in response to this elevated number of prescription painkiller deaths. The Drug Celebrex: may lead to severe bleeding episodes.
A drug approved by the FDA on December 31, 1998 for the treatment of osteoarthritis and adult rheumatoid arthritis, Celebrex has a serious drug interaction with warfarin (a blood thinner). Accord- ing to post-marketing reports to the FDA, this combination of drugs may lead to serious bleeding episodes, mainly in the elderly. Celebrex appears to abnormally increase the blood thinning effect of Warfarin, causing symptoms similar to those of an overdose of Warfarin.
OPTION: Again, temporary pain meds for legitimate trauma due to injuries, surgery, etc… etc.. are one thing, but pain meds are very addictive and have devastating symptoms if on for too long. Again, I am talking to those who always first go to drugs instead of trying to figure out the underlying cause of their pain is. I have had many clients that just needed to go see a good chiropractor, start infra-red sauna treatments, weight train to build up weak muscles that were causing transferring pain and once they increased their muscle strength, their pain was gone. This also applies to tendon, joint and arthritis pain. Arthritis is inflammation. (This is an entire article on its own). Inflammation is the #1 cause of all pain, so why not have a game plan to reduce inflammation through exercise, infrared sauna, ph water, supplements and many other methods that are available and safer.
6. SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUPTAKE INHIBITORS (SSRIS). Antidepressants like Prozak (flouxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Paxil (paroxetine), and Lexapro (escitalopram) have been around for years, but their dangers typically receive far less attention than they deserve. Side effects like suicidal tendencies, sexual dysfunction, gastrointestinal bleeding, and heart disease are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the many side effects of SSRIs.
OPTION: I kind of touched on this one in #4. Many are just using these drugs as a way to not face their trouble and issues. Eating healthy, exercising, laughing, having fun along with a good therapist and a supportive group of women who support you where I would start (before going on a medication). Again, the BFit program has helped 100’s of women get off of anti-depression meds, just by having a plan in place and making some lifestyle changes.
LASTLY, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT DIABETES.
Diabetes medications are absolutely NOT needed if you have type 2 diabetes. Type 2 is almost always repaired with exercise and a good nutrition plan. I have been able to reverse dozens of clients from type 2 diabetes and get them off Metformin, Insulin drugs and other blood sugar lowering drugs.
Each of these common drugs have side effect which usually end up causing new symptoms that you will want another medication for. Vicious Cycle. Each drug changes your body’s physiology, causing symptoms of fatigue, weight gain and many many other common complaints that trick a person into thinking they have other problems.
In time, you will build up a tolerance to most drugs, which eventually leads to you having to increase the dose. Each medication you take is like chipping away at your health. Your health and vibrancy will never be able to be restored if you are on medications, due to their inability to restore homeostasis.
My Life Mission is to help women GET OFF OF TOXIC MEDICATIONS, get healthier and help them with lifestyle changes to create a long lasting life of joy, happiness and health. I truly feel I have been led to help and educate all women who are struggling with self-esteem and quality of life. The first STEP is admitting it, and then joining a program like BFit CHALLENGE to get you on your way.
For a free consultation, feel free to contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 651 452 2339.