How many of you reading this article wish you could get off medications, but do not know how, or are scared to go off of them. How many of you were told that going on a specific medication was your best option? Were you informed about the possible side effects of medications?
In this article, we are going to discuss these questions. In addition, I am going to share with you my knowledge and opinions on the topic of medications.
I FIRST want to preface this article by saying, I understand there are instances where medications are important and needed. But, if they are being used to treat a symptom or disease that can be eliminated or reversed with lifestyle, nutrition and supplements,then that is the approach I am referring to. I think we have a culture of laziness, lack of knowledge and quick fixes. We need to take our health into our own hands and that requires a lot of work, assistance, and a physician (or advocate) that will help you sort through all of your options. You need to understand exactly what medications do to your physiology.
Each year prescription drugs injure 1.5 million people so severely they require hospitalization and 100,000 die, making prescription drugs a leading cause of death in the United States. Around 1,400 employees work for the FDA whose main duties relate to approving new drugs. Yet, there are only 52 full time employees who monitor the safety of all the drugs currently on the market. This includes approximately 5,000 brand name, generic and over-the counter drugs.
LET’S TAKE A QUICK LOOK AT THE TOP 5 DRUG CATEGORIES.
1. PROTON PUMP INHIBITORS (PPIS). Millions of Americans take PPIs to alleviate the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a condition marked by food and acid in the stomach leaking back into the esophagus and causing damage. But PPIs like Nexium (exomeprazole) and Prevacid (lansoprazole) have been shown to both block nutrient absorption and inhibit the production of necessary stomach acid, which can cause a host of other health problems.
OPTION: Clean up your nutrition by eating non acidic foods and good quality food that do not have chemicals and toxins which cause many of these symptoms. Also could try digestive enzymes and probiotics, many times a person does not have the enzymes for proper digestion. Add some Glutamine powder to help with stomach lining health and repair.
2. STATINS. The top-selling class of drugs for several years in a row, statins are hailed by the medical system as a type of miracle cure for high cholesterol and heart disease. But popular statin drugs like Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium) and Crestor (rosuvastatin calcium) have been shown to greatly increase users’ risk of diabetes, liver disease, brain damage, muscle atrophy, and even early death. (http://www.drfranklipman.com)
OPTION: Again, many statins are given without trying to understand the reason behind why you have high cholesterol. Exercise and a better eating plan, which includes less trans-fatty acids, are two things you can start doing immediately to directly reduce the bad cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol.
The side effects of statins are so severe, in fact, that the FDA recently expanded its official warnings about their use: (http://www.fda.gov/ ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm293330.htm). Beyond this, more than a dozen studies have shown that taking statins for primary prevention does little, if anything, to prevent heart attack or stroke, which means the drug class is medically useless for the millions of otherwise healthy people who are prescribed it.
3. ANTIBIOTICS. The leading cause of antibiotic-resistant “superbugs,” antibiotics are another class of drugs that can cause long-term health problems without providing much, if any, benefit. Insanely over- prescribed for conditions that often do not even respond to them, antibiotics and their long-term abuse by the medical system has made many infections more virulent and untreatable. There are 3 very very dangerous antibiotics that are being prescribed right now that are very dangerous and can cause severe and permanent disability. They are Levaquin (levofloxacin), Vancocin (vancomycin hydrochloride), and Bactrim (trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole).
OPTION: Taking antibiotics kills all the GOOD bacteria in your gut. Reeving havoc on your immune system. Each time you take an antibiotic, you are damaging your gut, immune system and stomach lining. I cannot stress enough how dangerous these are and how they have long term effects on your overall health. Why not work on building up your IMMUNE system with healthy eating, a good quality multivitamin, Vitamin C, good quality sleep and probiotics. I have seen a HUGE decrease with antibiotics by simply taking these initial steps.
4. ANTIPSYCHOTICS. One of the deadliest drug classes, antipsychotics are commonly prescribed for conditions like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and severe major depression, as well as for many “off-label” conditions such as mild mood disorder and everyday anxiety. But popular antipsychotic drugs like Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate), Abilify (aripiprazole), Risperdal (risperidone), and Zyprexa (olanzapine) have been shown to increase blood sugar levels, elevate lipid and cholesterol levels, and promote weight gain.
OPTION: This is a tricky one, because obviously if you have a mental disorder, than medications might be the only option for you. But here is what I DO know. I have had MANY clients on these meds that did NOT have to be on them, it was a coping mechanism they used not face the true reality and issues in their lives. I have been able to help many women get of depression medications with a plan of daily exercise, good nutrition, a daily vitamin b drink and life coaching. Giving a women some methods to deal with her anxiety and helping her to learn better behaviors to deal with stress are always a better option. Easy? No… but better.
But even more concerning is the long-term neurological and brain damage that can result from taking antipsychotics, not to mention the greatly elevated risk of metabolic syndrome, which can include major health conditions like cardiovascular disease and diabetes (http://www. sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121127190016.htm). Antipsychotics are so dangerous that a study published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) declared them to be more deadly than terrorism.
5. OPIOID PAIN RELIEVERS. Pharmaceutical drugs have officially been declared a leading cause of death in America today, and leading the way are opioid-based painkillers like Vicodin (hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen), OxyContin (oxycodone HCI), Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen), codeine, and morphine.
According to a study out of Brandeis University in Massachusetts, prescription painkillers are now responsible for causing more fatal overdoses than both heroin and cocaine combined. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has actually declared an epidemic in response to this elevated number of prescription painkiller deaths. The Drug Celebrex: may lead to severe bleeding episodes.
A drug approved by the FDA on December 31, 1998 for the treatment of osteoarthritis and adult rheumatoid arthritis, Celebrex has a serious drug interaction with warfarin (a blood thinner). Accord- ing to post-marketing reports to the FDA, this combination of drugs may lead to serious bleeding episodes, mainly in the elderly. Celebrex appears to abnormally increase the blood thinning effect of Warfarin, causing symptoms similar to those of an overdose of Warfarin.
OPTION: Again, temporary pain meds for legitimate trauma due to injuries, surgery, etc… etc.. are one thing, but pain meds are very addictive and have devastating symptoms if on for too long. Again, I am talking to those who always first go to drugs instead of trying to figure out the underlying cause of their pain is. I have had many clients that just needed to go see a good chiropractor, start infra-red sauna treatments, weight train to build up weak muscles that were causing transferring pain and once they increased their muscle strength, their pain was gone. This also applies to tendon, joint and arthritis pain. Arthritis is inflammation. (This is an entire article on its own). Inflammation is the #1 cause of all pain, so why not have a game plan to reduce inflammation through exercise, infrared sauna, ph water, supplements and many other methods that are available and safer.
6. SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUPTAKE INHIBITORS (SSRIS). Antidepressants like Prozak (flouxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Paxil (paroxetine), and Lexapro (escitalopram) have been around for years, but their dangers typically receive far less attention than they deserve. Side effects like suicidal tendencies, sexual dysfunction, gastrointestinal bleeding, and heart disease are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the many side effects of SSRIs.
OPTION: I kind of touched on this one in #4. Many are just using these drugs as a way to not face their trouble and issues. Eating healthy, exercising, laughing, having fun along with a good therapist and a supportive group of women who support you where I would start (before going on a medication). Again, the BFit program has helped 100’s of women get off of anti-depression meds, just by having a plan in place and making some lifestyle changes.
LASTLY, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT DIABETES.
Diabetes medications are absolutely NOT needed if you have type 2 diabetes. Type 2 is almost always repaired with exercise and a good nutrition plan. I have been able to reverse dozens of clients from type 2 diabetes and get them off Metformin, Insulin drugs and other blood sugar lowering drugs.
Each of these common drugs have side effect which usually end up causing new symptoms that you will want another medication for. Vicious Cycle. Each drug changes your body’s physiology, causing symptoms of fatigue, weight gain and many many other common complaints that trick a person into thinking they have other problems.
In time, you will build up a tolerance to most drugs, which eventually leads to you having to increase the dose. Each medication you take is like chipping away at your health. Your health and vibrancy will never be able to be restored if you are on medications, due to their inability to restore homeostasis.
My Life Mission is to help women GET OFF OF TOXIC MEDICATIONS, get healthier and help them with lifestyle changes to create a long lasting life of joy, happiness and health. I truly feel I have been led to help and educate all women who are struggling with self-esteem and quality of life. The first STEP is admitting it, and then joining a program like BFit CHALLENGE to get you on your way.
For a free consultation, feel free to contact us @ email@example.com or call us at 651 452 2339.